Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Rock

I took advantage of the late December 60 degree afternoon by walking along the nature trails in Pawnee Prairie Park. The ground is soft beneath my feet, and the view is fantastic. The various paths meander through scenic routes. One can walk through short grass, cedar forests, deciduous trees, or beside the curving Cowskin Creek. Here the air is fresh and crisp, and I step out briskly, working off my December overindulgences. Quickly I begin sweating lightly, and push up the sleeves of my sweat suit. After half an hour, I stop to rest beside the creek. Here a large tree trunk curves over the water’s edge: a perfect place to sit and listen to the rushing water. Large chunks of cement have been dumped into the creek here at its bend, and I sit and listen to the water gurgle over and around them. I wonder if I could hopscotch across the stream on these rocks; it is only ten feet wide. I stand up on the rock nearest to the bank. It is solid and easily supports my weight. Leaning over slightly, I put my foot on the next rock, which is also solid, but slippery. I hesitate, and then lose my nerve. I can’t risk fallingoff these rocks into the cold water when I am two miles from home and warmth. It would be exhilarating to cross the stream, but my fear keeps me from attempting it.

In Psalm 18:2, David speaks of God as his rock: “the LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.” Isaiah also speaks of God as his rock: “Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD is the Rock eternal” (26:4). If God is our rock and our fortress, do we put our trust in Him, knowing that His firmness will hold us up? Instead of placing our weight on him, how many times do we lose our nerve, just as I did by not trusting the rock to help me cross the stream? When we fail to trust our eternal Rock we never experience the blessings He has reserved for us.

Help me, Father, to rely on Your strength and to trust Your support. Give me the courage to step out in faith, knowing Your strength is sufficient for my needs.

Deuteronomy 32:4a “He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just.”

No comments:

Post a Comment