Monday, January 31, 2011

Rejoice in the Lord Always

On a recent Thursday night in February, we experienced a winter storm. I tossed and turned all night, listening to the freezing rain and sleet drumming against the roof and windows. Finally, an hour and a half before the alarm went off, I got up in the pre-dawn dark to watch the weather. I learned an inch of ice and sleet had fallen during the night; according to the newscasters, travel was treacherous and should be avoided. When I looked out the window, I could see the street glistening. Soon the list of school closings appeared on the television screen. Every school district in the area was closed except one, mine.
Grudgingly, I prepared for the bitter cold weather and the icy commute. I had a long, cold day ahead of me after a restless night with little sleep. When I got to school, only one third of my students had come, so the entire day seemed pointless. School was in session, but little was accomplished because so few attended. I kept thinking about what I could have done at home. Frustrated, I fretted and complained all day about the wasted time. After school, I left earlier than usual in an effort to beat the afternoon traffic. Still grumbling and complaining, I scraped windows and warmed my car. As I pulled out of the parking lot, however, my attitude changed.
The low, winter, late afternoon sun shone through the ice-covered world, changing the landscape into a magical fairyland. The dried winter grasses in the roadside ditches sparkled in the sun. The squares of ice-coated wire on the roadside fences glimmered and gleamed. The trees sparkled like huge crystal sculptures. The whole world danced with light. Forgotten were my frustrations and complaints as I viewed this breathtakingly beautiful world! All I could do was thank God and marvel at His winter beauty.

Father, open my heart to view the beauty you have so graciously bestowed.

Philippians 4:4 (NIV) “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”

No comments:

Post a Comment