Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Will It Ever End?

This summer has been extremely brutal. The 100 degree temperatures started in June. Nearly every day in July was scorching. My yard has turned to a crunchy brownish-yellow, the top three inches of my hedges are brown and scorched from the sun’s merciless heat, large cracks criss-cross the backyard, and even my native Kansas wildflowers wilt in this oppressive weather.
Stepping just outside the front door, I am immediately drenched in sweat. Even in the house, when I am not working, my body sweats. Getting into the car has been an adventure. The steering wheel is so hot I can barely touch it, and I dare not touch the metal on the end of the seatbelt.

The heat—endless days of 100, 105, 108, and even 111—seems as if it will never end. Will I ever stop sweating? Will the rivers ever run full again? Will the gardens ever flourish again? Will this extremely hot summer never end?

But this week finally brings a promise of fall and cooler weather. I awaken to the sound of thunder and rain drumming on the roof. I open the front door and breathe in cool, fresh air. Yes! This summer’s heat will end. Yes! Cooler weather will come. Why did I ever doubt?

How easy it is for mankind to doubt and complain. Thousands of years ago the Israelites loved to doubt and complain. They had God in the form of a cloud and a pillar of fire to guide them. They had manna fall out of the sky to feed them. Their God had parted the Red Sea to enable them to escape Egypt. But they doubted; they complained.

And in this modern day, whenever the weather stays hot or life gets tough, what do I do? I doubt. I complain. What do I have to complain about? Why do I doubt? I serve an ever faithful God. I need to take my mind off the summer heat, take my mind off life’s trials and focus on God and His promises. Psalm 145:13b-16 NIV The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made. The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time. You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing.

Lord, forgive my doubting and complaining. Give me instead a spirit of rejoicing in Your faithfulness.



No comments:

Post a Comment