Saturday, July 14, 2012

Listening to the Stream

At first glance, the stream appears motionless, its shallow green waters merely reflecting the overarching canopy of green. But here by the bridge, rocks litter the stream’s bed, and its water comes to life. Its meandering impeded, the stream ripples, bubbles, and rushes. The currents ripple and swirl around the rocks and fall over submerged stone, plunging to a lower level, leaving bubbling foam at the base of the mini-waterfall. I sit by the side of the stream listening to its gurgling, allowing the water’s chaos to soothe my soul.

God’s spirit flows through my life like a stream. At times it moves so quietly I scarcely notice its motion. But once life’s difficulties obstruct my way, I take more quiet time to listen carefully for God’s spirit rushing through my life. When I sit quietly, watching and listening, I have eyes to see and ears to hear His spirit moving in my life.

Lord, help me to be inwardly still during crises and during calm times, that I may better acknowledge you and your work in my life.

Psalm 46:10a “Be still and know that I am God.”




2 comments:

  1. I have had to force myself to just sit quietly and listen and stop doing all of the talking. This summer has been good for that. Nothing like a good stare down out of a window pane watching leaves hover or the grass grow. God has given us so much and we need to stop every once in awhile (more often than we already do) to wonder at His every day glories that we take advantage of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Tracy, and so true. When we stop and ponder instead of scurrying or chattering, God never fails to amaze us.

    ReplyDelete