Saturday, July 31, 2010

Vacuuming the Carpet

As I vacuum the living room carpet, the hum of the vacuum and the back and forth motion of the machine soothes me. Hungrily, it picks up dirt and debris from the floor. The bits of torn paper, the little clumps of dirt, all are whisked away by its mighty wind. With nothing on my mind but the cleaning, I think about the hidden dirt the vacuum sucks up greedily. Deep within my carpet’s fibers lay tiny bits of dirt, unseen to human eyes. Even though I cannot see these specks, the vacuum pulls them out of my rug. By the time I finish, the carpet looks clean; it even looks newer through its transforming cleaning.

My mind wanders. Isn’t this the way God cleanses our souls? Sometimes we have surface dirt others can see—the pieces of paper, the garden soil tracked in on our shoes. But what about the tiny specks of dirt and soil deep within the soul? Fortunately, God is willing to cleanse all the dirt.

Now my rug is clean, the pile stands up, and the room looks beautiful. I’m glad I will never have to vacuum the rug again. What? You tell me that I will have to vacuum again?

The same is true with my soul. When I accept Christ and confess my sins, He cleanses my soul.

Oh God, there’s much dirt has been tracked in on my soul. Help me to plug in your spiritual vacuum for cleansing.

I John 1:9 NKJ “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment