Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Sun's Warmth

I love to feel the sun shining on my face. Its rays soak into my skin, leaving me warm, mellow, and comfortable. In the sunshine my spirits lift, energizing me for the day’s tasks. On a cloudy, wintry day, the chill penetrates my body, leaving me cold and shivering. The sunless, gray sky reflects my own gloomy mood. I long for the sun to warm and cheer me. At night the lack of sunlight causes the world around me to darken, and I have difficulty finding my way. I cannot see my path, and I yearn for the sun to illuminate my world. At times it seems the sun will never return.

I know, of course, that the sun is still present on a cloudy day, but I hunger for its warmth. The sun still shines; the cloud cover merely obscures the light and the warmth. Likewise, I know the sun still shines at night. The earth has merely turned its back on the sun, so I am in its shadow, unable to see the light, unable to feel its warmth. Clear nights are illuminated by the moon, which merely reflects the sun’s light Even though it seems that the sun is gone, I know that it shines in the heavens, no matter what I see or feel on an overcast day or pitch black night.

So it is with the Son’s presence I love to feel the warmth of His love enveloping me. His warmth soaks into my soul, leaving me filled with joy, peace, and love. In days when His presence shines brightly, my spirits lift, energizing me for the day’s tasks.
At times His presence is obscured from me by my sin, my busyness, or my unwillingness to seek Him. Then my soul feels cold, my mood gloomy. I long for His presence to warm and cheer me. At times I am in spiritual darkness; my soul wanders lost, unable to see without His light. Trials and troubles overwhelm me, and I have difficulty finding my spiritual way. I can no longer see the path to Him, and it seems that His presence will never light my path again.

I know, of course, that He is present, even when I cannot see His hand in my affairs, but I long to feel His warmth. Behind my clouds of doubt or despair, He is always there. I know He is present, even when I am in the depths of spiritual darkness. I have merely turned my back on Him; I am in His shadow, unable to feel His light, unable to feel His warmth. Yet in the deepest spiritual night, even when I have turned my back on Him, I see His light reflected by my Christian brothers and sisters who lead me out of the darkness back into His light. Even though it seems, at times, that He is nowhere near, deep in my soul I know that He is always with me, surrounding and filling me with His love, if only I open my eyes to see His light.

Father, forgive my blindness Open my eyes; make me aware of Your abiding presence.

Isaiah 60:19, 20 “The sun will no more be your light by day, nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you, for the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory Your sun will never set again, and your moon will wane no more; the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your days of sorrow will end.”

No comments:

Post a Comment