Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Secure in His Arms

Deuteronomy 33:27 “The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.”
Tonight I am wide awake. My body is relaxed, my eyes are closed, and my breathing is deep and even. But my mind is wide awake and running, running, running. I am snuggled up against my husband, the back of my head and my neck resting on his arm. The tensions of the day stored up in the muscles of my neck and back slowly dissipate. The heat from his body keeps me warm, his deep, regular breathing soothes me, and the strength of his arm beneath my head makes me feel safe, secure, and loved. Even though I am wide awake, I relish this time of peace and contentment.

As my body enjoys this wide-awake repose, my mind questions, “Isn’t this the way God wants you to rest in Him?” His arms are always there, willing to provide my refuge, but how often I fail to turn to them. Instead, I turn my back on his arms. Then, the muscles of pride, self-reliance, and worry knot up, making me miserable. If only I would turn to His arms and allow Him to take my burdens, He would ease my pain. Often I stay huddled far away from his warmth, cold and alone. If only I would snuggle up to him, his warmth would radiate into me. If only I would listen to his voice and rely on his strength, I would know I am safe, secure, and loved. “He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carried them close to his heart” (Isaiah 40:11).

Father God, teach me to rest secure in your arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment