Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pieces of the Puzzle

My sister-in-law is great at working jigsaw puzzles. She can recognize minute differences in shape and can work a puzzle row by row, from top to bottom and left to right. I am amazed by her skill. I, on the other hand, work puzzles the way I suspect most people do. First, I dump out all the pieces, turn them over, and match similar colors. I look carefully at the picture on the box, for without that I would be unable to piece the puzzle together. Sometimes I find several pieces in a row and make progress quickly, but at other times I don’t seem able to fit together a single piece. I study the pieces and I study the picture, trying to make some sense of it all. Eventually, I have an “aha! moment” and realize where a certain section goes or recognize my own misunderstanding about the big picture. After much hard work and effort, I am finally able to put all of the pieces of the puzzle together and can see the completed picture.

Isn’t life often like a big jigsaw puzzle? As we live we are able to find the border pieces and make some sense of the events of our lives. At times we are perplexed. Nothing seems to go right. Difficulties surround us, threatening to overwhelm us. We hardly know which way to turn; none of the pieces seem to fit together. That’s when we must look at the picture on the box. God, in his wisdom has given us a picture to follow when we are putting together the pieces of the puzzle of our lives. His holy word gives us guidelines on how to live our lives, enabling us to see the picture more clearly. His holy spirit also resides within us, telling us which pieces will fit with others, telling us how to make the picture whole. How often do we ignore his quiet voice and struggle to finish the picture, not finding the correct combination of pieces? Then we remember to keep our eyes on the picture. Without it we cannot complete the puzzle. God gives us guidance to make sense of our lives, to complete the picture, if we keep our eyes steadily focused on him. With God’s guidance we make progress, and the pieces fit together. But the picture will never be whole until we see Him face to face in heaven. Then and only then will the picture be whole, and only then will we have answers to our questions. When the puzzle is complete we will live in perfection with our almighty God.

Father in heaven, I thank You for your great wisdom, power, and knowledge. Forgive my feeble efforts to put together the pieces of the puzzle of my life; help me to completely trust You to complete the picture.

Psalm 139: 3-6 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment