Saturday, August 18, 2012

Dress for Success (reprise)

Every morning as I prepare for my day, I decide what to wear.  Looking in my closet and dresser, I have choices to make.  Do I wear a skirt today?  Slacks?  Jeans?  What top coordinates with the skirt or pants?  Both must match in color and appropriateness for the weather and occasion.  Next, I must decide on appropriate accessories.  Which shoes?  Belt?  Scarf?  Jewelry?  All these choices must coordinate to create a unified whole.  Once I make my decisions and dress, I’m ready for the day.

Just as I am able to choose daily what clothes I’ll wear, I have choices in what to don from my spiritual closet.   What shall I wear today?  Shall it be a spirit of complaining or a spirit of gratefulness?  If I wear the spirit of complaining, I must also put on bitterness and accessorize with sorrow, for these create a coordinated ensemble.  Before deciding what to choose from my spiritual closet, I think, “Is this what a child chosen by God would wear?  Is this appropriate attire for the daughter of the King?”  If not, I discard those “clothes” and choose to wear something else. Today, perhaps I’ll don that spirit of gratefulness.  To match gratefulness, I choose compassion and humility, for those naturally complement gratefulness.  In order to accessorize, I choose good deeds for my feet.  To top it all off, the sparkling gem of God’s love unifies the ensemble.  Now I’m ready for the day. 

Father, help me choose wisely from my closet of spiritual clothing.

Colossians 3:12 “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothes yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”

No comments:

Post a Comment