Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rain on Me!

In the middle of the night I awaken to a strange sound. In my sleep-fogged brain I struggle to identify the source of this soft sound. Plop…plop, plop, plop…plop. As my sleepy fuzziness clears, I realize I’m hearing raindrops hitting the roof. In an area that has suffered extreme drought for several years, this is an unusual sound.

From the warmth of my blanket-laden bed I travel to the dried land. Yards criss-crossed with cracks, lawns filled with brown, not green grass. Fields with stunted crops starved for moisture. Plop, plop. In my mind’s eye I see that thirsty land drinking each tiny droplet of life-giving moisture. Deep into the earth the moisture soaks, traveling to roots below the surface, reaching for water.

Only water can restore life to lawns gone dormant. Only water can change sickly-looking, yellowish green winter wheat into vibrant forest green. In my cozy bed I smile, imagining how the drops are slowly changing the landscape and allowing new plant life to flourish. Snuggling deep into my blankets, I drift back into a deep, restful sleep.

Just as the land cracks and crops wither in a drought, so our souls suffer from spiritual drought. Too often, when our souls are parched, we look for a flood; we look for a mountaintop experience to quench our souls’ thirst. But it doesn’t take a flood. It doesn’t take a mountaintop experience. The drought is broken one little droplet at a time.

Father God, let my soul be open to receive each tiny drop of spiritual moisture You send. Send Your life-giving rain into my heart, drop by drop.

John 7:38 “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment