Sunday, February 17, 2013

Blow Wind, Blow


What a warm, windy day for a walk. In the gorgeous 65 degree February weather, I ventured outdoors to walk the nature trails.  Even in the middle of winter, with the trees shorn of their green summer finery, I enjoyed my walk along the paths that meander across meadows, beside the stream, and through the forest.

Even though I walked alone, the wind became my constant companion. At times the wind pushed from behind, its gusts quickening my steps. Other times, it blew at me from the side, causing my hair to fly all around and into my eyes and mouth. When the wind blew straight toward me, it cooled my exercise-warmed face.

At other times, the wind left my side and blew high above me. Though I couldn’t see or feel it, I was still aware of its presence. As it blew through the treetops high above me, the bare branches creaked and groaned from its force. Rushing through the treetops the wind whooshed along, reminding me it was still near.

As I listened to its rushing noise I remembered the passage in Acts, chapter two, where I learned that the Holy Spirit first appeared like a rushing wind. Today I listened to the wind in the trees and I wondered: how often does God’s Spirit rush near me and I fail to listen? How often does God’s Spirit push at me from behind, urging me to step up, and I ignore it? How often do I fail to respond to the fresh wind of the Holy Spirit?

Father God, open my eyes and ears to see and hear your Spirit working in my life, and teach me how to respond to its influence.

John 14:26 “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment