Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Road to Resurrection: Three, Jesus is Annointed, the Story of the Woman with the Alabaster Jar


I’m not a wealthy woman. I’m not an educated woman. I’m not looked upon favorably by those in upper society. But when a man speaks the truth, I understand. This man Jesus speaks the truth. The first time I heard him teach, I knew he was special. Whenever He opened His mouth, it seemed the words of our Fathers came alive. Surely this man was the fulfillment of the Holy Scriptures. At long last, our Messiah had arrived.

In my heart I longed to bestow a very special gift on Him. But what gift could I give such a man? I was willing to sacrifice anything to give a special gift to the Master. I prayed to the Almighty and waited for an answer. As soon as I had my answer, I gathered all my worldly goods and hurried to market to sell them. Each item I sold brought the top price. Soon my purse held more money than I’d ever seen. Willingly, gladly, I gave the shopkeeper every denarius. In return, he handed me a beautiful alabaster flask. I ran my hands over its curves, knowing I would soon break it open, releasing the oil and fragrance inside. This would be my gift for the Messiah.

Carefully I hid the flask in the folds of my cloak, lest any thief might spy it and take it from me. I rushed down the crowded, dusty streets, hurrying to the house where Jesus and his disciples ate.  It wasn’t my place to interrupt their meal, but the urgency in my heart made me bold. When I entered the house, the men were at the table. Before I could lose my courage, I went straight to Jesus’ side. I broke open the lovely vase and poured the most fragrant oil on his head. Surely, I was most privileged to be allowed to anoint the Master.

Some of the men grumbled, as I knew they would, but God had allowed me to anoint our Messiah. No matter what those men might have said or done, I received such a special gift when I was allowed to anoint my King.

Food for thought: What treasures have you stored in your alabaster jar? Are you willing to break it open as a gift to pour out for Jesus? Would you be willing to sell all you own to honor Jesus?
Matthew 26: 12 "When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial."

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I think too often we take for granted that He is willing to accept our gifts with such graciousness. May we be more willing to give Him our all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. Yes, we take His graciousness and His giving for granted every day. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. I love how you take me into the heart of this character. One of my favorite Bible stories...thanks for bringing it to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Laura, and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete