Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous. I like that word. You-bik-we-tus. Strange word. It means “something that is present or seems to be present everywhere at the same time.” Once I first heard the word I noticed it more and more often. Listen and you will hear it too, “ubiquitous.” The word itself has almost become ubiquitous.

What has truly become ubiquitous in our society is the cell phone. Everywhere, it seems, there are cell phones. Their ringing interrupts meetings, movies, and plays. Rings tones sing out everywhere. In the middle of a quiet dinner, the person nearby is loudly talking to a friend, telling details of her life I don’t want to hear. Everyone knows how ubiquitous, ever present, and annoying the cell phone can be.

I have decided not to let the sounds of all these cell phones and cell phone users annoy me. Sound like an impossible task? In order not to be annoyed, I let the cell phone serve as a reminder. Whenever I hear or see the phone, I remember that God is ubiquitous, present everywhere at the same time, omnipresent. No matter how often I hear a cell phone or see or hear someone talking on the phone, I know God is more ubiquitous than the phone. Every second of every day, He is here beside me. When I am in the grocery store, driving in my car, attending a play, or hard at work, He is beside me, loving me, seeking me, wanting me to seek Him. I can talk with God more easily and more often than anyone can talk on a cell phone and it doesn’t cost a cent! He is ubiquitous. So when the phone rings? Annoyance is replaced by the confident assurance that God is with me and, instead of irritation about the phone, I express a prayer of thanksgiving to my all-powerful, all wise, all loving, ever present, ubiquitous God.
Omnipotent, ubiquitous God, whenever the phone rings, let that remind me of Your holy presence.

Psalm 139:7-9 “Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?

No comments:

Post a Comment