Friday, June 17, 2011

A Thunderous Voice

The bible tells us that God speaks in a still, small voice. But sometimes when I enter a still, small state, His voice shouts and thunders: How can my people be so blind? How can you be so deaf? Open your eyes! Open your ears! My glory is all around you and you ignore it.

Look! Behold my glory in the sky: The brightness of the sun, the vastness of the blue dome overhead. The moon and the host of stars glow at night; all these reveal my glory. Open your eyes to see Me! The majestic, snow-topped mountains and the heaving waters of the oceans, their waves crashing against the shore, are all shouting out my greatness. The brilliant bolt of lightning electrifies the night sky. How can you not see Me? Look in the eyes of an infant, in the caress of a loved one. Look at your own skin and hair. My glory is everywhere. See it, and glorify my name!


Listen! Everywhere you hear testaments of my greatness: The rumbling thunder in the midst of a storm. The early morning songs of the birds and the rushing waters of a mountain stream proclaim My majesty. Listen! You will hear my voice. Listen to the laughter of a child. Listen to the wind in the trees. Listen to music: the piano, guitar, violin, and saxophone all sing of my glory. Hear the voices of those who love you. Listen to your heartbeat. Hear your breathing. All these provide testimonies of my greatness. Open your ears; glorify my name.

O my people, how can you be so blind? O people, how can you be so deaf? Open your eyes; open your ears. My glory resides all around you! See it. Hear it. After you finally see it and hear it, do not be mute. Tell others how great I am. Open your mouth and glorify Me.

Father, forgive me. Forgive me for the countless times I fail to notice your glory all around me. Forgive me for not listening for your voice. Keep my eyes and ears open that I may behold your glory. Let my mouth open in praise of my almighty God.


Job 37:2-5 “Listen! Listen to the roar of his voice, to the rumbling that comes from his mouth. He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heavens and sends it to the ends of the earth. After that comes the sound of his roar; he thunders with his majestic voice. When his voice resounds, he holds nothing back. God’s voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding”.

No comments:

Post a Comment