Saturday, November 19, 2011

Daily Injections


A few years ago I struggled with a bout of pneumonia. After the doctor listened to my lungs and looked at the x-rays, he prescribed a potent antibiotic to combat the bacteria in my lungs. For a time I felt better; I had more energy,breathed easier, and had no fever. But soon the bacteria proved to be stronger than the antibiotics, and I headed back to the doctor’s office. He explained that some strains of bacteria are especially antibiotic resistant, so I had two options: one, hospitalization, or two, daily injections of a powerful antibiotic. I chose option two. Every day for two weeks I drove to the doctor’s office for my injections. At first I noticed no difference. I was just as tired as before and still had several degrees of fever. Finally, after four or five days, I felt a little better; my temperature was near normal and I breathed much easier. By the end of two weeks my fever was gone and I felt more energetic. After the injections my doctor prescribed another antibiotic to help my weakened body continue fighting the infection.

Within a few months I experienced a new-found energy and sense of wellness. After that illness I am much more conscious of providing energy and infection-resistance to my body by eating right, exercising, and getting proper rest. None of these guarantees freedom from illness, but my healthier body is better prepared to fight any future infections.

This experience also taught me a lesson about my spiritual health. Satan is like bacteria that destroys my spiritual health. He looks for weaknesses so he can attack and weaken my spirit. A constant battle against the forces of darkness rages in the world. Just as I try to keep my body healthy to prevent another infection, so must I keep my spirit healthy to ward off an attack by Satan’s bacteria. Consuming a steady, healthy diet of spiritual food fills my soul with the word of God. Praying to my creator exercises my spiritual muscles. Resting in Him and listening for His voice guides my spirit. I need the spiritual equivalent of a daily injection, for Satan is a potent adversary. 1 John 4:4 gives me assurance of this antibiotic against Satan: "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them [spirits not from God], because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." As long as I "inject Christ" into my life, Satan’s attacks will be controlled and repelled. The medicine is freely available to help me combat all spiritual illness; all I have to do is take it.

Father, thank you for not leaving me defenseless against Satan’s attacks. Thank you that your medicine is stronger; help me to faithfully take my daily injection.

Ephesians 6:12 "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

1 comment: